Monday, October 24, 2011

Ayer

Yesterday we had a great day down in Pilsen - we went with some friends to the National Museum of Mexican Art for the annual Dia de los Muertos exhibit, which I try to go to every year.  Before, we met for tres leches cake and coffee at Kristoffer's Cafe, which was ridic delicious, then afterward we went to this awesome bar, Simone's, which is designed with old pinball machines?  Gorgeous.  THEN, we went to Mundial for dinner, which, I swear to you, is now my favorite restaurant in The City.  Phenomenal service, an amazing menu - excellent selection of vegetarian foods for a certain vegetarian husband - we had an excellent time. 

Standouts at the show were a beautiful large-scale photograph from Mexico in the '50s of a cemetary under candlelight - kind of like this vibe...
There was also an absolutely stunning painting by local artist cHema Skandal which we ALL loved.  I wish I could find a copy of that painting online.  Not to mention, buy a little somethin' for my living room!  Also turns out our friend MZ knew one of the artists in the show.  Pretty cool, no? 

I was inspired to make an ofrenda myself, for my grandpa - here's a little pic...
It's got some of his favorite things: books, music, champagne, a little baseball picture, as well as some traditional elements like butterflies, a sugar skull, and pan de muerto. 

1 comment:

dad said...

Very nice!