Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods (no spoilers)

This weekend we saw The Cabin in the Woods - I really wanted to see it because it's written by Joss Wedon.  It's nice for any Wedon fan because it's basically like a really great two-hour episode of Buffy meets Dollhouse meets the last episode of Angel.  It's partly a commentary on traditional horror movies and the standard stereotypes that are included (the jock, the nerd, the virgin, etc) and how we conform people to meet expected stereotypes and there's also this whole other element that I won't mention for fear of spoilers, except, I will say that I wish the trailer hadn't given so much away.  It's really interesting that this movie came out the same season as The Hunger Games, they have a lot in common.  Well, it's really interesting movie and I'd recommend it.  BTW, it's not really scary, at least not I-can't-sleep-now scary.  Remember when Scream came out and everyone said what a brilliant movie it was, social commentary, etc?  Back then I was like, We've got to see this movie! and then, I couldn't even so much as walk to the bathroom by myself in the middle of the night for the next six months, I was so freaked out.  M was like, Are you SURE we should go see this?  So, it's jumpy-scary in parts and and over-the-top gross in others, so over-the-top that it's funny.  I wouldn't like, recommend it to my mom, but I would to my sister.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

oK,

I'll Netflix. Thanks