Monday, October 17, 2005

Grandma's featherbed

This weekend we went to M's grandma's house in Rockville, Indiana. I had a nice time riding in the car with Mike, listening to new music. I'm trying to decide if I like the new Fiona Apple album (I think I don't) I really dig this guy, Tim Fite, whose album Gone Ain't Gone is described as 'apparently largely an assembled patchwork of samples, or, as his label would have it, "a wry, anachronistic, copyright-defying, country/hip-hop collage" that was "made mostly from CDs rescued from dollar bins."' You can listen to No Good Here if this link works. Lately I've also been listening to some really great African Music - the album Dimanche a Bamako by Amadou & Mariam. Oh, I already blogged about that, I think. And this song Keleya from an album called World Psychedelic Classics 3: Love's a Real Thing, the Funky Fuzzy Sounds of West Africa. I wonder if the rest of the album is that good?

So, in Indiana we had a chance to "take in the colors" as they say 'round those parts, and to be viewed as apparently the total outsiders that we are. While inquiring into the quality of a local Terre Haute microbrew, we were asked immediately, "Where you from?" only to receive a sad shake of the head, and a "You won't like it" after replying, "Chicago." We overheard another hilarious exchange at a booth at the Covered Bridge Festival, whereby the kind proprietor inquired of his customers, "Is she a dainty girl or a big, heavy girl?" I was laughing too hard to hear the rest, but M said they looked at each other and seriously said, "Medium."

No comments: