Monday, September 27, 2010

More tomatoes?

It's starting to get cold in this area, so we pulled the rest of the tomatoes off the vines, including the green ones.

In previous years, we tried to follow our grandmothers' advice and wrap the green tomatoes in newspaper, snuggle in a box, and put in a cool, dark place. Supposedly the tomatoes will ripen, we were told, and we'd magically have red tomatoes when we expected them the least. What really happens is, you put the tomatoes in the basement, promptly forget about them, and then what you have is a box full of mold when you least expect it.

This year I decided to try a few recipes instead. I'm not a big fan of fried green tomatoes, so the first thing I made was Green Tomato Bread. It's kind of like zucchini bread, but tastes a little crisper. It was delicious! I took a loaf to my office and everyone raved. Very easy to make. Here's a pick of the green tomatoes all chopped up - you just squeeze the liquid out and mix in the dough. Nice and cinnamon-y - I'd highly suggest this if you have some green tomatoes to use up. Recipe via Cooking with Michele.

I also made slow-roasted tomatoes with the smallest tomatoes - you just cut them in half, throw them on a pan on parchment paper, drizzle with olive oil and roast them in the oven at 275 for a loooooooong time. We had ours in there for about 6 hrs. Tasted one tonight - like pure heaven! Recipe via Smitten Kitchen (she has gorgeous photos so I didn't bother.)

No comments: