Wednesday, September 29, 2010

No! It can't be! ... more tomatoes?

With the rest of our green tomatoes, we made Italian Farmhouse Green Tomato Pickle (recipe via The Splendid Table, an absolutely fabulous radio show with Lynne Rossetto Kasper. I highly recommend the pod cast.)

It's incredibly easy to make. One night you cut the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt, then let it sweat it out in the fridge all night. The next night, dice up garlic, sun-dried tomatoes (which I made myself! OMG!), a few herbs and a pepper (from our own garden!), cover the whole mess with vinegar and then.... wait. The Splendid Table recipe is for canning, but we just put ours in a jar in the fridge. I know it'll be fine because it's covered in vinegar and we'll eat it soon. I have to wait four days for it to marinate, but... it looks pretty darn good. The whole thing took about a half hour's work!

3 comments:

dad said...

And your not on Oprah yet? What is she thinking? Your just up the road from her....(Are you available for an interview anytime soon?)

Special K said...

I await her call.

Special K said...

update: we ate some, and this pickles are insanely intense! Outrageously vinegary, natch and a real adventure for the taste buds - caused us to break out in a light sweat! I think they would taste great on a cheese and sausage plate at a party!