Friday, March 17, 2006

Knock Me Down Girl

This is a great song: Knock Me Down Girl!

Today in the art history survey course that I'm a TA for, the Professor showed this painting by Charles Demuth called The Figure Five in Gold (it's at the Met - beautiful to see in person), and he read the poem by William Carlos Williams that inspired it. It goes:


The Great Figure

Among the rain

and lights

I saw the figure 5

in gold

on a red

fire truck

moving

tense

unheeded

to gong clangs

siren howls

and wheels rumbling

through the dark city


There's a woman in the class who translates the whole lecture into sign language for a deaf student - it was so beautiful to watch her sign that poem. I love watching sign language. I always watch her and try to learn at least one word a lecture. Today I learned "vagina" because we were looking at a lot of Georgia O'Keeffes. It looks like this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds a little bit like Napolean Dynamite in the Happy Hands club.

Anonymous said...

thank you for this. I'm about to go to a dinner party, and now I have something to show them.