Monday, January 15, 2007

Lady in the Water

Last night we watched M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water. I hated it, but M. liked it. I found it self-congratulatory and I think the movie takes itself way to seriously, even for a self-proclaimed "fairy tale." I ask you, does any greater nepotist than M. Night exist? Every time there was a close-up of some non-actor staring dumbly, I thought, "Oh, great, that must be his cousin." Also, the dude has got to stop casting himself.

How about this cluttered piece of dialogue? "A boy, in the midwest of this land, will grow up in a home where your book will be on the shelf and spoken of often." (insert your movie will be shown and spoken of often) "He will grow up with these ideas in his head. He will grow into a great orator. He will speak and his words will be heard throughout this land and throughout the world. This boy will become leader of this country and begin a movement of great change. He will speak of you and your words and your book will be the seeds of many of his great thoughts. They will be the seeds of change." So says the (you call her ethereal, I call her) creepy Brice Dallas Howard to M. Night's "character." OMG! Is that a JOKE?

But, most of all, the whole story is just completely implausible because I find it hard to believe that underwater people would ever have bangs. Like a group of advanced sea creatures are going to be like, "Oh, I need to cut my bangs, I'm getting hair in my face." Ridiculous.

No comments: