Saturday, May 16, 2009

priceless

Last weekend in Indiana there was lots of talk about who/when/where re: morel hunting. My aunt's husband (somehow not quite my uncle) said it was a "bad year" for morels, and he only found "five or six."

"Oh, that is pretty bad," I said.

"Pounds." Oh, come on.

Much was made of the sort of people who will shell out ridiculous amounts of money for morels. Well, my friends, M&I are exactly those kinds of people and today happily purchased 1/4 pound of mushrooms for $12. Yes, that's $48/lb, and worth every penny.

Hoosiers know there's one way to cook up your morels, and that's fried in butter:
Hello, my precious

flour and pepper bath


mmm...


Lunch!

6 comments:

dad said...

"That's some good eatin!"....(at any cost!) I'm sure you both enjoyed it!

kbmulder said...

Yum! And what cookbook quality pictures! I've only had them once, buy I recall they were good. From my friends backyard woods in green township.

Special K said...

oh, kbm, you wouldn't believe how many pics I took to get those four! (:

kbmulder said...

Pic #1 looks like a piece of art and should be framed and hung in the kitchen. Seriously!

KHM said...

All these years of Hoosiers at every turn and I've never been offered a single morel. Never heard of any being hunted...and yet, this year, all over FB and the blogs I see evidence of it. Where've I been?

Special K said...

I'm not too surprised, more precious than gold, people are a bit stingy with them sometimes. (: