Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Movies

Here are some movies I've seen in the last month or so:

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Oh, Tom Cruise!  Awesome movie - to me, it brought back the fun of the first Mission Impossible movie, which is one of my favorites.  Idiotic plot that doesn't make any sense, but, who cares?

Young Adult
Depressing as hell, but cool concept.  YA writer of the Gossip Girl variety, the mean girl in question is stuck in a high school mindset.  Lot to think about - probably best as a rental.

Hugo 3D
 Beautiful film - I liked the bits re: silent movies the best.  A real film-lover's movie, no matter how old you are.

Underworld: Awakening
Rotten Tomato critical reviews: 27%; audience reviews: 80% positive.  Oh, snap!  I also went with popular appeal - except I wish the younger girl would have been a serious ass-kicker like Summer in Serenity.  Has anyone ever noticed Kate Beckinsale sounds just like Julie Andrews?  I wonder if she can sing?

Baby Momma
Why Tina Fey? Why!  80's-style comedy about "career woman" (we're just called women these days) who put her job before husband and family!  Now look what happened, you stupid bitch! You don't have no baby!

Temple Grandin
Totally worth seeing, I'd recommend this movie to just about anyone.  Makes you think about cows in a whole new way.  Brilliant line: "You think we'd have cattle if people didn't eat 'em everyday? They'd just be funny-lookin' animals in zoos. But we raise them for us. That means we owe them some respect. Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be. I would'nt want to have my guts ripped out by a lion, I'd much rather die in a slaughterhouse if it was done right."

Crazy, Stupid Love
Like everyone else in America, I cannot get enough of Ryan Gosling!  He is amazing (to look at) in this movie, and Steve Carrell is so funny.  Stupid plot twist at end doesn't even ruin it.

Beginners
Beautiful film starring Ewan McGregor and absolutely perfect Christopher Plummer.  Reminded me a lot of A Single Man, but mostly because of gorgeous LA architecture.

No comments: