Monday, January 09, 2006

The World: Good?

Before I know it, it's going to be late January, so I'd better get some early January thoughts out there, before it's passe. In the wee early days of 2006, I've been thinking, Self, maybe the world is not such a bad place after all. And I allowed myself, in a rather unprecedented way, to experience a calm and satisfaction and happiness in my life that I had not felt for continuous days for I-hate-to-tell-you how long. This is due to a variety of factors including a tear-less holiday season, a winter that seeks not to chill me to my very bones, idyllic relations with my boo, my friends, and a new baby, a monumental task finished and a certain optimism that Things Might Be Work Out Fine. Then, what gets in the way of my peace and happiness, but The World and Brokeback Mountain. All it took was a little evening news and an Ang Lee movie to remind me that the world is, in fact, a terrible place! Where civil rights erode, miners die, Native Americans get robbed and two cowboys live a live of misery because they fear the repercussions of a hostile society that doesn't understand their love.

This very mild winter I'm enjoying is just the product of global warming! How can I experience true happiness with a Republican president in office? I don't know... nevertheless, I wish us all joy (Joy!?!) in 2006.

No comments: