Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Movies

I've been watching a lot of movies recently - most off Netflix, but did catch The Invisible in the theatre. It sucked in many ways, but the thing that most annoys me in retrospect is that the kid was not technically invisible. In the great tradition of invisibility in the movies, the invisible character can still be heard and even touched if bumped in to, but the kid in The Invisible's more like a ghost.

Last night we watched The Departed. It broke my recent resolution not to watch violent movies - but people kept saying the violence "wasn't bad." Sure, maybe "not bad" for Scorsese, but, come on, when literally everyone in the movie ends up (spoiler!) dead, let's upgrade to "pretty bad". The Departed brought out my latent misandry, and leaves me thinking what is WITH this boys' club whose idea of poetry is to kill each character in the movie? These douchbags (Scorsese, Clint Eastwood (Mystic River? Ugh!) and Soderbergh) love nothing better than making an all-male movie and they think they're Shakespeare if everyone leaves the movie feeling miserable. It leaves me with no option but to add one more fast rule to my list and no longer watch movies that have only one female cast member.

3 comments:

Indiana Fan said...

Good to see you back! We've missed you!

they think they're Shakespeare if everyone leaves the movie feeling miserable

Ha!
I concur- too many directors think they're "speaking truth" when in reality they're just reinforcing tired old grim tropes that Shakespeare had ripped off from the Italians & Greeks.
Bah, I say.

Caitlin said...

I know, right? I think that is why I prefer Buffy to Angel. The violence on Buffy is so much more artful and creative -- dare I say, fun? Whereas on Angel, it's so frequently beefy dudes pummeling eachother with fists. Lame. That Departed is somewhere in my queue, but I keep pushing it down. I can hardly stand to think about it.

I too am glad you're back!
I missed your posts!

KHM said...

K--just caught the N. Mandela quote in your sidebar---NICE! And dead on. Here's to recognizing, embracing and sharing each of our own sparkles and talents.