Saturday, February 03, 2007

¿Qué es esto?

M.'s been dying to see Pan's Labyrinth ever since he noticed it got a 100% cream of the crop on Rotten Tomatoes. We finally went to see it last night - and as we were having dinner beforehand, M. was getting kind of nervous that it would sell out. I was all, "Relax. It's not going to sell out. For one thing, it's been out for a long time. And it's an indie film. And for another thing, it's foreign."

And he said, "It's foreign?"

Ah, that takes me back.

Although Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno) is really beautiful and imaginative, it's gory and disturbing, and I got grossed out and disturbed. If I never see another person get shot in the face, it'll be too soon.

I also watched an old movie called San Francisco (1936) with Clark Gable and a younger Spencer Tracy. It mostly sucked, aside from the ending where (I hope I don't ruin it for you!) there's this big, you know, earth quake. After the earth quake, it gets oppressively religious. The whole town walks around arm in arm singing "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". It's surreal.

Throughout the movie, Jeanette MacDonald sings this song "San Francisco" about 20 times. That song's lyrics made me sentimental about my old town, and I imagined myself returning in my old age and singing it, like the cheeseball I am.
San Francisco, open your golden gate
You let no stranger wait outside your door.
San Francisco, here is your wanderin' one
Saying "I'll wander no more."
Other places only make me love you best,
Tell me you're the heart of all the golden west.
San Francisco, welcome me home again;
I'm coming home to go roaming no more!

No comments: