Saturday, March 29, 2008

Top THIS

There's this television show called Top This Party (or maybe Top That Party) where ridiculous people throw ridiculous parties with the help of semi-witless party planners. At the beginning of each show, the party planner asks the host how much they're willing to spend on the party, and they usually lean back, and with a great show of braggadocio, say, "I don't think we could do it for less than ten." They mean, of course, ten THOUSAND dollars, otherwise a rather large percentage of say, my total educational cost. And in each show, there's some ridiculous element, like a giant snake or an entrance by helicopter that almost doesn't happen because of the witlessness of the party planner, and the host goes totally ape shit and claims that the whole party will be ruined if it doesn't work out.

This is all background information.

Tonight we're having a Luau, and the ridiculous element is a stuffed pig on a spit, without which, I'm pretty sure, the whole party would be completely ruined. I enlisted my friend C, Master Thrift Store Shopper, to assist me in finding a stuffed pig. She asked me, "How much are you willing to spend?" I leaned back in my chair and said, "I'm willing to go as high as three." She knew what I meant.

Certain people (like a certain husband) said it couldn't (or was that "shouldn't"?) be done. But I think it looks pretty awesome. Top That!

8 comments:

kbmulder said...

Very crraafffttty! So, how much was the pig after all? That show you mentioned sounds like the Sweet 16 show from MTV. It is just awful how much they spend on those parties, and the kids are usually ungrateful.

Special K said...

I know, right?!?! I'm pretty sure we'll get $1.50 worth of fun out of that pig. Made the spit with scrap wood in the garage...

Anonymous said...

Is your fire insurance paid up? Sounds like it's going to be a great party!.....We all love pig roast in Indiana!

KHM said...

I guess my invitation was lost in the mail... looks awesome!

clterry said...

Can I borrow that for my preschool event, Churchyard goes Hawaiian at the end of the school year. How could I make a game out of it? That's awesome.

Carrie said...

No one could top that!

Special K said...

It's yours, Connie - can't think of a game though, aside from possibly some lesson about vegetarianism! (:

Anonymous said...

Mom said: Is Mike still talking to you after the rude pig treatment? I think maybe you could do some pin the organ on the pig or some such thing. I really like the girls with with the rosy cheeks and flowers in their hair - very happy picture.